Monday, February 11, 2019

Alcohol and Anger
I’d always had mixed feelings about Cara, but at that moment I felt only sadness for her.  I heard a distant explosion.  A horrible thought crossed my mind. Couldn’t be. Cara wasn’t that stupid, was she? 

“Cara, what did you do to fix his little red wagon?” I asked.

Cara smiled. “His car was parked in the executive lot outside his building. I wrote my name in charcoal lighter fluid on his hood, lit a match, and walked away.”
I was stunned. “You didn’t happen to leave the can of lighter fluid on the car while you looked for a match, did you?”  She shrugged.

That’s when we heard the next muffled boom.

“Hey Cara, were other cars parked next to your husband’s?” I asked, my voice louder than I intended.
 
“Oh, the lot was full. Everybody was at work. All his friends will see his precious vintage Corvette go up in smoke!”

And watch their cars catch fire and explode.

 Like a magnifying glass focusing sunshine into a single beam hot enough to burn, alcohol had focused Cara’s anger into a single act likely to burn away much of her life. Her marriage was probably over. This was going to cost her a ton of money. She might even lose her freedom for a while.
Today I won’t let alcohol and anger burn down my life.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment