Monday, February 25, 2019

Life on Life’s Terms
The next several days brought to mind the AA slogan ‘life on life’s terms.’

On Thursday of that week I went to Blondie’s semi-final game. She played her heart out. They won a close game over a Cinderella team. The next night Blondie played like she had invented the game. They crushed their archrivals, winning my alma mater’s first women’s basketball conference championship. The gym erupted. Pictures were taken, nets cut down. I couldn’t have been more proud or happy.

Later I drove to Harrisburg for Brat Boy’s volleyball tournament. I wanted to go that night so I could see his 8:00 a.m. game the next day. Driving through the dense fog with my hazard lights on at fifteen miles an hour, I wondered why.  “Because it’s what dad’s do,” I said to the steering wheel.

The tournament was an all-day affair.  The games were exciting. Brat Boy crushed it, making me think he was going to drive the volleyball through the concrete floor with every kill. My wife and sister, who had stayed for more of Blondie’s victory celebration, got to the arena in time to see most of the games.  We relaxed in our chairs, eating the best hot pretzels I’d ever tasted, talking to friends. I couldn’t have been more content.

After the tournament, we went to see the man who’d taught me what dads do. His face was shrunken, he stared off, not seeming to recognize us. We took turns holding his hand. Every now and then I saw a spark, but it quickly faded. I realized I was most likely seeing him for the last time.  I couldn’t have felt more empty or sad.

Today I will accept life on life’s terms, the joy and contentment, and the sadness as well.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment