Wednesday, January 23, 2019

I Tried
Josh called me from the bus station to give me his keys.

“Josh you can’t call me at the last minute to watch your house,” I said. “I have a busy life.”

“I sold the house,” Josh said. “I was so excited about going to Vegas, I forgot about my dog. See if Kim wants her, or take her to the pound, will ya?”

I thought ‘WWRD?’ What Would Roger Do? He’d punch Josh, maybe right in the face. I put that option aside for a moment.

I said, “Addictions are like swirling whirlpools in the middle of a vast ocean. At the outer edges you might not even notice you’re going around in a circle.  Before long you’re getting pulled to the center. By now you gotta know you’re being sucked under.”

Josh smirked and said, “I got a system. My old girlfriend is gonna let me sleep on her couch. She’s even going to throw in some of her money.”

We talked more. I gave him the number of a friend who specialized in treating problem gambling. He laughed. His bus came and I never saw him again. I’d done what I could to help him, and I had to accept it wasn’t enough.

Today I’ll do what I can and accept it may not be enough.


Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment