Monday, January 21, 2019

It’s Not All Bad
The weather turned too rough for me to go to Chicago to see Brat Boy play. He texted me to say it was not a problem.

I still felt bad. When I was a little boy I was badly burned. I spent three months in the hospital. My mother came to see me after work. One day I noticed how tired she looked and told her she didn’t need to visit every day.

The next day, she was a little late getting to the hospital. An empty, sad, sinking feeling washed over me. I remembered that feeling like I’d felt it the day before.  I hated the idea that Brat Boy might be feeling something like that.  

I had to remind myself Brat Boy was eighteen, not eight. He was staying in a hotel, not a hospital.  I had been alone. Brat Boy was sharing the room with his girlfriend’s brother.  I had no doubt they spent every waking moment playing X-Box, talking trash, and eating pizza with their teammates
Getting burned had been a horrible experience, but some good had come from it. My strong desire to be there for the people I loved grew out of that moment. Knowing  I was never going to be reliable while I was still drinking was one thing that drove me to get sober.

Today I’ll be grateful for the good that comes from bad situations.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment