Wednesday, December 4, 2019


But What If…
Before the end of the day, three people had asked when the training was being held. Two of the three registered for it.  Three more people who checked the addiction counselors’ website where all approved trainings were listed also registered.

Even though I had tried not to judge myself harshly, I had been awfulizing, imaging the worst possible outcome from my mistake. Nobody would show up for the training. Word would get back to my boss. I’d get fired. She’d pull a lever at the side of her desk. A trap door would open up and I’d slide down a chute into a dumpster behind the main building.

Human resources would erase all traces of me from the company records. Dr. Deb would divorce me. My kids would change their last name.  In six months I’d be standing on the side of the road with a sign reading ‘Will Train For Food,'

“I’ve really got to stop awfulizing,” I said to my laptop. 

“You’ve got to stop talking to yourself and your laptop,” Miss Rella said as she walked past my open door.
Today I won’t awfulize.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment