Monday, December 16, 2019


Of Frozen Snakes
Sometime later that night, Billie must have had a change of heart. The next day her mother and sister were at the wedding. 

As I walked into the courtroom Billie’s sister was fussing with Billie’s hair. “You should have gone to my guy,” she said in a disapproving tone.

“Hope this one works out better than the last one,” Billie’s mother said.

Billie looked at me, a mask of anger and frustration.

I thought of the parable of the frozen snake. A man picks up a nearly frozen snake in a mountain pass. The snake says carry me down to the valley where it’s warm. The man says no, you’ll bite me.  The snake swears he could never bite someone who saved his life.

By the time they reach the valley the snake has warmed up enough to bite the man. He asks him why are you surprised? You knew what I was when you picked me up.

Today I’ll remember the parable of the frozen snake.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment