Monday, December 2, 2019


Something Extra
When I got home, Dr. Deb asked me when I planned to put up Christmas lights.  I was ready.

I said, “The Bible says a single star appeared over Bethlehem.”

“What’s your point?” Dr. Deb asked.

I reached into the closet and pulled out a star made of cardboard covered in aluminum foil.  “I’ll put this in front of the porch light.”

For half a second she thought I was serious. 

Because I knew how happy it would make her, the next day I put up more lights than I ever had before.  I covered the bushes, trees, and lamppost. I bordered the windows and the roofline.  The two stars I’d made of wood and outlined in lights were fastened high in the hemlocks in our front yard.

I bought battery powered collars with mini-lights for the dog and cat.  The goldfish kept slipping out of the collars I made for them.

Today I’ll do something extra for the people I love.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment