Tuesday, November 26, 2019


Peace
Sue picked up Baby Katie who I had handed off to Roger.  After a few minutes in her mother’s arms, she squirmed and reached for me.

“Oh no, missy,” I said to the toddler.  “You’re not gonna kick me again.”  I picked her up anyway, she was too cute to resist.

I lifted her into the air a few more times, careful to keep her away from my nose.  After, she curled up on my shoulder and went to sleep. Peace washed over me, and I felt the muscles in my face and neck relax.

The Youngstown Kid stared.  I asked if he was OK.

“I, hmmm, I can’t remember being that relaxed without booze or Xanax,” he said, looking away.  At a little over a year sober, he still struggled with restlessness and trouble sleeping.  

I felt bad for him, which made me appreciate my peaceful moment with Baby Katie all the more.

Today I will savor peaceful moments.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment