Friday, November 1, 2019


Listen
When I got home, Dr. Deb asked me how everyone was doing. I said, “Billie’s getting married. Kim found someone, Trevor’s getting back with his ex. Roger’s getting divorced again.”

“What about Cara?” Dr. Deb asked.

“She’s slipping away, one Chardonnay at a time.”

“Anything you can do for her?”

“We’ve all talked to her. Billie tried to arrange an intervention, but Cara’s husband canceled it.” I thought for a moment. “When Cara got some serious clean time, she thought it gave her the right to lecture people about recovery. Now she knows she has to listen.  I’m not sure she can.”

Dr. Deb said, “People who don’t listen never learn.”  She pointed to the light fixture I’d had to install twice because I hadn’t listened as she read the directions.

“I’m sorry, what did you say? I wasn’t listening.”

Today I will listen.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment