Thursday, November 14, 2019


Stepping in Should
The day wore on.  Cara was in jail, and likely to stay there. I was furious with her, sad for her victims, and mad at myself.

Even though I knew better, and had helped many people not do so, I started shoulding on myself. I should have done more to help Cara stay sober.  I should be more concerned for Cara. I should do more to fight drunk driving.

I took a step back and started replacing the shoulds with more helpful thoughts. Nobody can make anybody stay sober. I had done what I could to help Cara.

Cara had been around long enough to know her drinking was likely to end in disaster. She had hurt innocent people. I had every reason to be angry.

Instead of shoulding on myself for what I could have done about drunk driving, I thought about what I could do, starting with focusing on it in my blog.

Today I won’t should on myself.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment