Tuesday, November 5, 2019


Good Thing
 “As for Sue and Baby Katie,” I said, “they couldn’t be better.” I showed Dr. Deb a picture of Katie sleeping on Sue’s shoulder.

“Awww,”  Dr. Deb said. “Sue is just glowing, but you take two pictures a year, why this one?”

“It’s tough when bad things happen to good people.  I’m trying to hold onto those times when good things happen to good people. Sue is good people.”

“I don’t remember you telling me much about her.”

I said, “Two and a half years ago she went to a bar and got blind drunk. Bought OxyContin from some guy in the parking lot, had sex with him behind a dumpster, and drove home. She remembers the day because her car got towed.  She’d parked over her mailbox.”

“She sounds like a real saint.”

“She stopped dead in her tracks the day she found out she was pregnant.  No more booze, no pills. She went to all her doctor appointments. Did everything she was told to do. Now she’s the most attentive mother you ever met.”

Dr. Deb smiled. “That’s a good person.”

“Buried under the addictions was a good heart. I’m just happy good things have happened for her.”

Today I’ll celebrate good things happening to good people.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose
Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment