Tuesday, November 12, 2019


Rule of Threes
“There’s a lot of sadness in the world,” I said to Brat Boy. “It pays to follow the rule of threes. Whenever I encounter one reason to be grateful, I try to add two more. It evens things up.”

“For example?” Brat Boy asked.

“Yesterday the gym wasn’t crowded.  I was grateful.  As I worked out, I added two more reasons to be.”

“Less people to see you in your child-of-the-60s, born to be wild, bandana?” Brat Boy suggested.

“No, Mr. White Socks With Sandals, and I don’t care if you call them ‘slides.’ I was grateful the guy who drowns himself in cologne wasn’t there.   No nose hairs falling out as I choked on his dollar store scent.

“I put on my ear buds and turned down the volume.  Princess Yak Yak and the Duchess of Drama were leaving. I wouldn’t have to turn the volume full blast to drown them out."

“Hey Dad, your gratitude seems a little bitter,” Brat Boy said, laughing.

“Gratitude doesn’t have to be puppies and unicorns,” I said.  

Today I will follow the rule of threes.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment