Thursday, November 7, 2019


Moving Sale
Roger texted me. He and his wife had decided to sell their house before the divorce.  The election was eating up all his time, and he wondered if I could help him pack some of his stuff.

‘You OK?’ I texted. Roger loved that house.

Roger texted, ‘It sucks, but if you want to move on, you got to move out.’

I knew Roger was texting about the house, but maybe a little more. If you want to move on, you have to move out of your own way.  You get rid of the things that slow you down as you move toward a better place.

I’d had to move out of the drinking life.  Alcohol got in the way of school, my relationships, and my job.  Trevor had to move out of his little shed and into the retail world to get the resources he needed to move on.   Sue had moved out of the bars and backseats of cars to become a good mother.

Cara lived in her fantasy of being the victim of the legal system. She refused to leave her pride behind and listen to people trying to help her.  I didn’t have high hopes for her getting back to solid recovery.
Today I will move out to move on.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment