Friday, December 6, 2019


Roll Tide
At the next Monday Knights meeting I sat next to Sam.  He’d been on vacation in Florida and I asked him about  the beach.

“You ever notice when the tide is out, waves still roll in?” he asked.

“Sure,” I said, “they just don’t roll as far inland. Why?”

“I miss Pam.  Her memory is like a gentle wave breaking in a distant part of my mind.”

Poetic BS is still BS, I thought. “I had some good times when I was drinking,” I said. “But those times are a distant memory.  They’re like waves breaking a half mile offshore.  The tide is out and now I see the debris left behind.  If I try to wade out past it, I’ll likely sink. The tide will come back and drown me.”

“I thought we were talking about Pam.”

“I’m talking about anything toxic that’s fun at first.  If you only remember the good part, the toxic part will come back to bite you.”

Today I won’t drown chasing the tide.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment