Tuesday, December 3, 2019


Judgment
Two weeks earlier I had decided to change my training announcements. I picked a new template, changed the fonts and the order of the paragraphs three times, and added a picture.  When I was finally satisfied, I sent the announcement to 2,500 colleagues working in mental health/drug and alcohol. 

Anybody walking past my office when I hit ‘send’ might have thought I was clapping.  I was high-fiving myself.

An hour later I got my first reply: “There’s no date listed, when is the training?”  It occurred to me that thirty-some years ago I may have quit drinking one beer too late.

 “I’m an idiot,” I said to my laptop.  No reply. “Don’t judge me, you played a part in this too,” I pointed out.

‘How would you judge a friend who made the same mistake?’ I finally asked myself.  I’d tell him we all mistakes, move on. I still felt like an idiot, but I started the next project anyway.

Today I’ll judge myself no more harshly than I’d judge a good friend.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment