Monday, December 9, 2019


Warning
Almost a week later I was hurrying to put up more Christmas lights before the 4:00 Steeler game.  Rather than opening the ladder and making sure it was on solid ground, I leaned it against the side of the house.

I climbed within two steps of the top of the ladder stretched toward my left to put a hook in the window frame.   The right foot of the ladder sank into the ground. The ladder went right, I went left and fell backward.

I landed on my back, grateful I’d cleaned up the dog’s calling cards the day before.  The ground was soft, but I twisted my hand.  My first two fingers started to swell.
A week earlier I’d been much higher up on the extension ladder.  Had I fallen then, I could have been hurt much worse.

“Well there’s my warning,” I said to myself.  It occurred to me I’d spent much of my career helping people who didn’t heed life’s warnings until they really got hurt.

Today I will heed life’s warnings.


Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment