Monday, November 16, 2020


Fawlty Showers


Reminder

My son Brat Boy called to remind me we were meeting for dinner.


My memory had worsened as I’d gotten older. I’d started setting multiple reminders, including asking people to call me about important events or deadlines, anything I didn’t want to forget.


When I was having a bad day, I’d shut my eyes and remember the accident that ended my drinking career.  I knew a guy who kept his wedding ring from his first marriage to remind himself never to take his second wife for granted.


A long time ago, I had met a guy who felt the desire to drink whenever he had money in his pockets.  He went around with a dime in his pocket, just in case he needed to make a phone call.  (It was a long, long, time ago.) “That dime reminds me of all the money I spent on booze,” he said.


“I remember payphones,” I said to Brat Boy.


“Dad,” Brat Boy said, laughing, “Do you remember our conversation about only saying out loud the thoughts in your head connected to the current conversation?”

 

Today I’ll set a reminder.


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment