Tuesday, November 17, 2020


 Fawlty Showers


Pain

Abigail asked if I would monitor her group, saying she needed to confront someone who might react badly. She added a list of detailed instructions for when and how I should intervene.


I wanted to tell her I’d been running groups when she was learning to correct other people’s grammar, but I let it go.


We walked over to a group room that had been carved out of the fire hall next door.  I sat in the tiny office, walled off from the rest of the room by temporary dividers.


I had expected Abigail’s group to be a grinding, depressing affair, almost as much fun as a root canal.  People who’ve suffered too much can’t always get past their own pain. 


Despite all the misery she’d endured, or maybe because of it, Abigail connected with her group in a way that told them she understood their struggle.  The conversation got heated, but never out of hand.


I left the group inspired. I made a list of others I had known who’d risen above their, putting their experiences to good use.

 

Today I’ll learn from people who’ve risen above their pain.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment