Friday, November 20, 2020


 Fawlty Showers

What a Bargain

I met Dr. Deb, Brat Boy, his girlfriend CharChar, my daughter Blondie and her boyfriend TyGuy.


 “Do you ever miss it, Daddy?” Blondie asked as a tray of drinks went past.


“Sometimes,” I said, “If alcohol and other drugs had no initial upside, nobody would get addicted.”


I took a bite of my salad and added, “Here’s the bargain. You give up your chemical for something. Sometimes you don’t even know exactly what you’re getting in exchange, you just know it has to be better than your addiction.”


 “You made that bargain before you had Brat Boy,” Blondie said. “You must feel cheated.” Brat Boy flicked a crouton at her. Even as adults a look from Dr. Deb was enough to stop them in their tracks.


I smiled, “Sometimes you don’t get what you bargained for. You think you’re getting one thing, but you get something else instead. Life is unfair. Some people get a little less than maybe they deserve, some people a little more, but always something better than their addiction.”


I looked around the table at my wife, my children, and their loved ones who were a bonus I had never counted on. 


“I got so much more than I bargained for,” I said. “I’ve been incredibly lucky.”


 

Today I’ll be grateful when I get what I bargained for.

 

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment