Thursday, November 19, 2020


 Fawlty Showers


Hope and Help

 I hit the gym on my way home from work.


“I’m hoping I don’t ruin Thanksgiving this year,” the guy in the locker next to me said to his friend.


His friend laughed. “Not again.”


“My in-laws drive me to drink.  Oh God, I hope I don’t get too drunk.”


“Hope you don’t either,” his buddy said. “Your wife cries to my wife and I gotta hear about it.”


I didn’t know this guy, but I wanted to say, ‘why don’t you give hope some help by not picking up the first drink?’


I didn’t. I’d been there, never giving hope any help. Hoping I’d pass without studying. Hoping to lose weight on the beer, pizza, and TV plan. Hoping to succeed without really trying. It was all false hope.


I’d learned hope without help only dulled the frustration and anxiety. False hope was a painkiller that let the problem grow.  


 

Today I’ll give hope some help.


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment