Monday, November 9, 2020


 Fawlty Showers


When Worse Comes To Worst

Her name was Marti. She’d been court-ordered to treatment in lieu of time in a federal prison.  She had worked for a government agency that secured local computer networks.


Marti had been a little drunk when she hacked into her home town’s traffic system. She rigged all the green lights to allow just one vehicle to pass before turning red.   



“OK, that’s wrong, but it is kinda funny,” I said.


Marti said, “People were mad but it would have been much worse if somebody got hurt.”


After she left, I started a list of times things could have been worse. I had totaled four cars. I was drunk for three of the crashes, completely sober for the last one.  Nobody had been injured in any of the wrecks.


My friend had married a beautiful narcissist. She emptied their bank accounts and took off. He was crushed, but I thought his life would have been much worse if they’d had children.


I was feeling my age, but I was still mobile, conscious, and keenly aware of how differently my life might have turned out if not for the love of my friends and family in the darker moments.


Today I’ll be grateful for all the times things could have been worse.


 

Fawlty Showers © 2020 by Ken Montrose


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

·         www.greenbriartraining.com 

·         https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

·         https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/


No comments:

Post a Comment