Monday, February 15, 2021


 FAWLTY SHOWERS

Let Go To Hold On

When I got home, Dr. Deb greeted me at the top of the stairs with a long hug. A tear rolled down her cheek.

“Do you remember my friend Sue?” Dr. Deb asked. “Her husband died. He was drinking again.”

I’d met Sue’s husband a few times. He clearly loved Sue and their children. He also loved the bottle and didn’t see why he couldn’t have both.

I had told him addicted folks have to let go to hold on. The stronger our grip on the bottle, or anything else we’re addicted to, the weaker our embrace of the people we love.

“To some extent, that’s true for people who aren’t addicted,” I’d said.

He’d told me he wasn’t addicted to booze, and that I should write greeting cards.

 

Today I’ll let go to hold on.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment