Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Fawlty Showers


Paleontology

The next day I had lunch with my friend Maresa to celebrate her nineteenth sobriety anniversary.  In that time she’d helped countless people get sober, inspired many others.


We’d met for lunch every year since her thirteenth.  On her fifteenth anniversary in 2021 The Other Ken from Greenbriar had congratulated her on becoming a ‘dinosaur.’


“A dinosaur is someone with fifteen years or more of sobriety,” The Other Ken had said when I asked.


“I’ve been sober over thirty years,” I said. “What would that make me?” The Other Ken just laughed.


“A fossil,” I said, answering my own question.


I thought of my years with Dr. Deb, friends I’d known forever, how in my 60s I still went to the gym, and that I’d written something every day for decades.   Relationships and habits set in stone had made me a happy fossil.  


Today I’ll be a happy fossil.

 


Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

  • www.greenbriartraining.com 
  • https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
  • https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment