Wednesday, February 10, 2021


 Fawlty Showers

Persistence

I researched regulations regarding animals in treatment centers.  I couldn’t find any.  I got the email address for our county evaluator from Randy.

The rule was buried in the Department of Health regulations, and was usually applied to hospitals, not treatment centers.  I argued that many rehabs had pets, some even posting pictures of them on their websites. The Evaluator wouldn’t budge.

‘Rules are rules,’ she emailed me. ‘Have a nice day.’

I was ready to give up. The Evaluator didn’t seem likely to budge.

When I was in school and still drinking, I’d become the master of talking teachers and professors into accepting late papers, or letting me take make-up exams. The trick, I’d learned, was to be persistent, to keep begging until they relented.

“A crappy example of persistence,” I said to my laptop, “but if you want something badly enough, you gotta stick with it.”  

I started a better list of times I’d been rewarded for not giving up.

 

Today I won’t give up easily.

 

Fawlty Showers is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

www.greenbriartraining.com 

https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment