Monday, June 5, 2017

49. Winning, But Not at All Costs
Once again Jameston was cleaning his car when I pulled into the parking lot the next day. 
“I’ve decided not to see my son,” Jameston said, not looking up from wiping his dashboard.  “I’ve started putting money away in case he wants to go to college.  I’ll contact his mother again when he’s a junior in high school.”
I said, “No offense, but you’re handling this better than I thought you would. You’re making progress.”
“I could take her to court and win. I could.” He shook his head and said again, “I could.”
“But you’re not going to?” I asked
“For me to win, my first wife has to lose.  My son’s world gets turned upside down, so he loses.  Same for her husband.  Sometimes winning is like a drug for me. I’ll do anything for it, but the cost is too high.”
“You’re still clean,” I said. “That’s a win.”
Today I will try to win, but not at any cost.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment