Thursday, June 1, 2017

 47. Beating My Head Against the Rock
I heard the uncertainty in Holton’s voice as he told the group he was going to drink again as soon as he got out of treatment and off probation.  Like a lot of people, Holton was caught between a rock and hard place.  Holton was doing what many people did – beat his head against the rock.  He was going to drink more just to prove he could.  He reminded me of toxic couples who hated each other but got married because they feared being alone.  It never ended well.
Holton needed to climb over the rock.  Maybe on a Twelve Step ladder, maybe by some other means, but not by drinking.
Today if I find myself between a rock and a hard place, I won’t bang my head on either.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment