Sunday, June 18, 2017

58. Where You Been?
Quinn and Austin were arguing outside my door.
Austin said. “The leader is called ‘Grain.’ He says spiritual people start as boulders and age into rocks, stones, pebbles, and so on. They care less and less about the world because they let life wear away their concerns rather than wearing them down.  Grain says he’s sand hoping to become dust.  Dust blows in the wind without a care. It doesn’t get high, or hurt people. This is just what my brother needs.”
“That sounds good,” Quinn said. “but it’s a set-up to use people. You don’t like clearing woods all day? Grain will tell you it’s just to wear away what’s holding you back.  Too tired for his sermon? He’ll tell you he’s gonna talk about letting go of exhaustion.”  
“You don’t know him, so you can’t know if he’s sincere.”
“You’re right, I don’t know him, but I’ve known people like him.  I’m just saying listen to somebody who’s been there. Y’all don’t have to agree with me.”
I listened, thinking of the people I’d met who’d warned me my drinking was out of hand long before I got sober.  At the time I hadn’t taken them seriously. I was young, young people drank, they didn’t know what they were talking about.  I could have spared myself a lot of grief had I listened.

Today I will listen to people who’ve been there.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment