Tuesday, June 13, 2017

55. I Doubt It
Hilary said, “Hey, I wanted to ask you guys something. Heath says I should go to college. I’ve been thinking about it. Sometimes I help him with his courses, so I know I can do the work.”
“What’s stopping you?” I asked.
“I don’t know,” Hilary said. “I’ve been thinking about it since I got sober.  The first year, I didn’t want to add pressure to my life.  The second year, I decided I wanted to try. This year I’ve been getting ready.  September is coming around, and now I don’t know.”
“Honey, you know,” Daphne said. “You know you can, and you know you want to. Doubt is the only thing holding you back. Nameless doubt. Doubt out of habit. Doubt for no reason.  You know what my dad used to say?”
“I want a paternity test,” I guessed. 
Daphne hit me in the ankle with her cane.  “Doubt your doubts. Question your questions.  Look to see if you really have a reason for not trying, or if you’re just scared.”

Today I will doubt my doubts.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment