Sunday, September 24, 2017

January 16, 2020 cont’d
The Time is Ripe
I told Jack I had resigned from the rehab, and planned to write full time.

“The time was ripe,” he said.

“I think you mean ‘right,’” I said. “Your drinking pickled your brain more than you know.”
“No, smartass, I mean ‘ripe.’ Your writing career has matured to the point where it’s ripe for the picking.  If you had put off the resigning any more than five years or so, you might have lost your momentum and sunk into retirement. You’d be overripe. Moldy. Rancid…” 

“I get it,” I said.

“Rotten, smelly, covered in fruit flies, putrid…”

“Again Jack, I get it. I’d have waited too long, like the guys at AA who waited too long to quit. Now they have wet brain - can’t follow conversations, memories gone, just barely functioning.”

“Glad you made the move,” he said.

Today I’ll see what’s ripe for change.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment