Thursday, September 21, 2017

January 16, 2020
Meeting Some Resistance

I had submitted a novel I’d written years ago to a book promotion site. A week later they emailed me a ‘sorry, your book didn’t quite make the grade” message.

I had expected rejection letters from publishers and literary agents.  Getting turned down by that site stung.  It was like a street corner crack dealer saying I wasn’t quite classy enough to be part of his clientele. Feeling down, I called a friend who was also in recovery and a writer.

“Second step’s usually harder than the first,” Jack said. “I don’t mean the AA steps, I mean in life. First step, you decide you’re gonna do something. You’re gonna quit drinking, join the Navy instead of going into the family business, or marry a girl from a different religion.  Second step is where you run into resistance. People want you to drink with them. They’re against you enlisting. Hell, they threaten not to come to your wedding.”

“Wait, did all that happen to you?” I asked.

“My brother drank himself to death, trying to get me to drink with him. My dad didn’t speak to me the whole time I was in the Navy. Neither of my parents saw me get married.  No offense, but so far your second step hasn’t been that hard. Expect to meet some resistance and keep moving.”

Today I will take the second step, even if I meet some resistance.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment