Tuesday, September 19, 2017

January 8, 2020
The Voice of Reason
The next day I wrote my resignation letter. I had worked for the rehab for twenty-one years, the last fourteen in the same office. The time was right, the only thing stopping me were those annoying voices that woke up whenever I made a change in my life. 

“Maybe you should give the rehab six months’ notice before you leave,” said the Procrastinator.

“You’ll never sell another book,” said the Pessimist.

“In a year you’ll be broke and living in the shelter,” said the Catastrophizer. “Brat Boy and Blondie will tell everyone you’re not their real dad.”

“You should start a detox for cats addicted to catnip,” said that bizarre nameless voice that pipes up when the other voices scare me.

“Or,” said the Voice of Reason, “You’ll worry a lot, make it work, or find a new path. In any case you’ll survive.”
Today I will listen to the Voice of Reason.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose
2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment