Wednesday, September 6, 2017

114. Holding Onto My Marbles
When I got to the office, The Other Ken told me Austin was marbling out.  The group would pass around a marble, each saying a few words of encouragement before handing it off to the next person. When everyone had spoken, Austin would be given the marble as a reminder of his time in treatment.
He had done well, but he seemed worried. “Thanks guys,” he said to the group.  “So if each time someone encouraged me I got a marble, you’d think I’d have a bag full, right? Each time I accomplished something I’d get another?” He rubbed his temples and stared at his shoes for a second or two. “When things get a little tough, I forget the good stuff people have said. I don’t look at what I’ve accomplished.  It’s like I lose my marbles.  Not this time. I gotta remember what you guys said, look at what I’ve done, stay clean, and hold onto my marbles.”
Today I’ll try not to lose my marbles.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment