Tuesday, September 5, 2017

113. Hitting the Pause Button
I ran into Jameston at Dunkin’ Donuts the next day.
“How are you holding up?” I asked.
He took a second to gather his thoughts. “My sister says there’s a moment, after she gets the triplets to bed, while her husband takes the dog out, before she puts toys away, where she hits the pause button.  She will stand at the kitchen sink with her eyes closed for a minute or two, sometimes as long as five. Just stand there and pause before she gets ready for the next day. I am sick, but I’m living in that pause, do you know what I mean?”
I shook my head, “I’m not sure.”
He continued, “Some people think I must have instant spirituality because I’m terminally ill. Maybe I look like I’ve discovered some ancient wisdom. I’m really just me, at peace with my eyes closed, knowing I’ve got to open them and face the world soon. I’ve hit the pause button. It’s the eye of the storm, but it’s calm.”
Today I will hit the pause button.

Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment