Monday, September 18, 2017

January 7th, 2020 cont’d.

On Comfort, Safety, and Guinea Pigs
The Boss said, “You’re like keg-in-the-basement guy who meets his responsibilities, but knows he could do more if he didn’t drink away his free time. He has to let go of what’s familiar to find something more. Otherwise he’ll spend a long time wondering what might have been.”

“This is nothing like that,” I said, knowing I sounded like a big kid saying ‘nuh uh.’ “Besides, I’m better off staying where I am, retiring when I’m eligible for social security at 72.”

“Unless the conglomerate Congo Rats decide somebody pushing 60 could be replaced by someone half his age for half his salary. Don’t mistake comfortable for safe. Speaking of rats, did you have to order guinea pig?”

“It’s a Peruvian delicacy,” I said, feeling a kinship for the burrowing rodent.

Today I’ll ask myself what I’m missing, if I’m mistaking comfort for safety.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com
https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment