Sunday, September 10, 2017

116. Burned
Later that day, Quinn told me he and Austin were going back to Canada to pull Austin’s brother out of the Church of Middaymorrow.  “This time will be different,” he said. “We know for sure it’s a cult.”
Shaking my head, I said, “Suppose you get burned cooking on an open fire. You think you’d learn your lesson, but you get burned on a gas stove you weren’t afraid to touch because the flame wasn’t wild like the camp fire’s. Next you touch an electric stove because there’s no flame. Finally, you get burned in the shower telling yourself water isn’t like a flame.”
“I get your point,” he said. “If I keep looking for minor differences between dangerous situations, I’ll keep getting burned.”
“Exactly.”
“But this is different,” he said. 
‘He’s going to get burned again,’ I thought.

Today I hope I only have to get burned once to learn my lesson.
Time for a Change ©2017 by Ken Montrose
Time for a Change is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment