Monday, September 25, 2017

January 20, 2020
How Rude
I presented full day trainings Thursday and Friday of that week. By Saturday, the sound of my own voice grated on my nerves. That night I went to an AA speaker meeting, sat in the back, and cradled my cup of coffee like it was kitten I’d found on my doorstep.   I sank into a wooden chair, a skill most recovering people learn early.   Shutting my eyes, I leaned back in my chair, waiting for the meeting to begin.  All seemed right with the world.

Someone squeezed my shoulder. I spilled a little of my coffee.  “You shouldn’t fill your cup so full,” he said. His name was Rudy, and he had a lot of opinions, none of which I’d asked him to share.
Most nights I would have listened politely. It wasn’t my nature to confront people, but finally I had to say something. “I’m sorry. Not to be rude, but I’m really just here to relax and hear the speaker.” I hoped he wouldn’t be offended.

“Oh, am I bothering you? I’m not important enough to talk to you? You can only listen to one person a night?”

I was getting up to relocate to the other side of the room when I heard a woman’s husky voice say, “Hey Rudy, put a lid on it.”

Today I may have to be a little rude for my own sake.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment