Monday, March 26, 2018


Of Pastries & Patience
Two days later I attended my first staff meeting at my new job. The gathering was what a friend used to call a ‘we done did that, see?’ meeting. It was an exercise in redundancy.  

Devin, who liked to be called ‘Driven,’ quoted self-help gurus and insisted tiny muffins, scones, and designer cookies projected an image of success and class.

Weedman, called Devin ‘Drivel’, and insisted bagels and donuts were perfectly acceptable if presented correctly.

“Is this something you two could discuss after the meeting?” Jackie from HR asked. Apparently it wasn’t.

They went on discussing pastry pros and cons for twenty minutes more.  

I thought about an AA meeting I’d attended with my first AA sponsor. After an hour and five minutes of the most boring speaker imaginable, I asked what I was supposed to learn from that.

“Patience,” my sponsor said. “You should be grateful for the opportunity to practice patience and acceptance.” I wasn’t grateful, but over time I did learn to be patient.  

Today I will try to practice being patient, even if I can’t be grateful.  

Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose
Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.
Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment