Tuesday, March 27, 2018


Standing Apart
When we got past the great donut debate, Jackie asked me to update the group on my training. I told them I was revising my handout, but otherwise I was ready to go.

Devin asked, “When you say ‘handout’ do you mean printed copies of your PowerPoint slides?”

“No,” I said, “I mean written notes. I don’t use PowerPoint. We discuss booklets I create.”

“Everybody does PowerPoint,” he insisted. “People expect it.”  My new colleagues nodded in agreement.

There was a time when I would have said ‘I will start working on my PowerPoint slides today!’ Instead, I said, “It’s OK, people will remember my presentation because it’s different.”

Devin tried to draw me into an argument about it, but I just shook my head.  Over the years, not drinking set me apart from many people. I’d learned to stand my ground and not give into peer pressure. I’d come to admire people set apart for other reasons who stood their ground.

Today I will be willing to stand apart from the crowd.
  
Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment