Sunday, March 25, 2018


The Anger Gap
I went back to revising my training handout.   The seventh question asked, ‘Are you increasingly irritable?  More short tempered?’  The follow-up question read, ‘Ever extended your middle finger to another driver leaving the parking lot after a religious service?’

I wrote a margin note: ‘Anger Gap: How long after something soothing, happy, energizing, can you get angry?’

People early in recovery, going through chemical changes in their bodies and brains, struggle with anger.  They have a short anger gap. But as time goes on, people still quick to anger have to ask themselves am I too quick to let go of the good? Am I too quick to give into the anger?

I thought of someone who hit the lottery. According to his wife, he complained about having to pay taxes on his winnings ten seconds later. I was at a wedding where the bride married the man of her dreams, had the most beautiful reception, and was furious over the color of the napkins. (The paper coaster napkins were scarlet.  She had ordered crimson, dammit.)

I made a mental note to hold onto the good a little longer, give into anger a little slower.

Today I will hold onto the good just a little longer.


Burnout Training ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Burnout Training is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment