Wednesday, March 6, 2019

In Lieu of Flowers
A few days later my father passed away.

An old friend sent me condolences. He had missed the funeral and asked what he could do since it was too late to send flowers.  I told him the world seemed a little colder without my father.‘In lieu of flowers,’ I wrote, ‘You could help me try to make up for his loss.’ I suggested several ways.

In lieu of flowers, make sure people know you’re happy to see them. (My father never said ‘Hi’, he said, ‘HELLO,’ and smiled, a big warm smile that couldn’t help but brighten someone’s day.)

In lieu of flowers, commit small acts of kindness. Hold the door open, take an elderly neighbor shopping, compliment a stranger.

In lieu of flowers, make sure the people you love know it.

In lieu of flowers, savor the good in life, and show your appreciation to the people who made it possible.

In lieu of flowers, put family first, always. Treat as many people as possible like family.

In lieu of flowers, find joy, not jealousy, in other people’s accomplishments.
In lieu of flowers, don’t gossip, tell funny stories.

Finally, I wrote, ‘You knew my father, he was a man of great faith. In lieu of flowers, live the Scripture he lived: “Love one another as I have loved you.”

Today, in lieu of flowers…

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment