Friday, March 15, 2019

Unassuming
“Sorry to hear about your dad,” Jack said.  “I met him years ago.”

“You did?” I asked.

“He was staying with you for a week.  Katie and I stopped by to drop off a story she’d written and wanted you to edit.”  I had no memory of it.

Jack added, “I told him I worked for the government. Most people assume the worst when you tell them that. He thanked me, a big smile on his face. He seemed genuinely happy for me, hoped I got a pension. I think I could have told him I was an assassin and he would have congratulated me, and asked me how I got into that line of work.”  

I was dying to ask Jack if he was an assassin, but if he truly was one, asking him seemed like a really bad idea.

“That was my father, always upbeat, never assuming the worst about people,” I said.

“Maybe that’s why he got a kick out people. Until they prove you wrong, assuming the best makes them more likable.”

Today I won’t assume the worst about people.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose


Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment