Friday, March 8, 2019

That Didn’t Work, Let’s Do It Again
“Do you want to stop and get your prescriptions filled?” I asked Trevor.

“Nah,” he said waving his bandaged hand. “I’ll do it later.”

He wasn’t going to do it later. He was going to go home, get online, and look for some bizarre remedy purchased in three easy payments of $19.99.  Trevor hadn’t learned anything.

I started to say something but stopped. I’d argued with Trevor over and over about taking medical advice. Had I learned anything? Instead of trying to reason with him as I usually did, I said, “I’m worried about you.  If you don’t take the antibiotics your infection might come back.”

“That won’t happen,” he said with absolute certainty. 

I truly wanted to push him out of the car, but I was afraid I might dent the door on a guardrail.  I fought the urge to do what had never worked before, argue with him logically.  Instead, I said with as much concern as I could muster, “You’re an idiot.”

Today I will fight the urge to do what has never worked before.

Dogged Determination ©2018 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment