Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Bad Luck
As I was cursing my laptop I got a text from Kim.  Somebody had hit her new boyfriend’s side mirror on the driver’s side.  ‘Probably a kid texting and driving too close to the row of parked cars,’ she wrote. ‘He has the worst luck!’ 

Two flat tires and a broken mirror – I was starting to think luck wasn’t the issue. I forwarded her text to Trevor.  Trevor texted back he didn’t believe in bad luck or coincidence.   He reminded me that Three DUI Doug had believed his first three DUIs were all due to bad luck.

Three DUI Doug swore his initial DUI happened the first time he’d driven drunk in years.  He blamed his second on having the misfortune to drive past an officer who knew him from high school.  He got caught at a sobriety checkpoint for his third.  ‘I was in the wrong place at the wrong time,’ he liked to say.  ‘Just plain bad luck.’  Three DUI Doug was convinced bad luck, not drinking, was his problem, probably within an hour of them prying open his car to retrieve his body the last time he drove drunk.
Today I won’t assume bad luck is the source of my problems.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment