Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Getting Past the Past
Billie joined us.  “How’s the new boyfriend?” I asked.

“He’s a really nice guy,” Billie said.

“Your words say ‘nice’, but your face says ‘serial killer.’”

“I thought my ex was a nice guy. Do you remember what he did? While I was in detox, he dropped our son off at my sister’s, cleaned out our bank accounts, sold my car, and moved to Arizona with his glitter tramp girlfriend.”

“And yet, you stayed sober,” I pointed out, still impressed.  “So if you could do that, maybe you could give this new guy a chance.”

“I want to,” Billie said. “I just don’t know if I can.”

“You probably didn’t know if you could stay sober, but you did. You won’t know if you can get past your past until you try.”
Today I won’t know until I try.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment