Thursday, March 28, 2019

Loving My Resentments
Sam walked up with Bubbles on a leash.  The little dog’s tailed wagged furiously as I bent down to scratch her ears.

“Nice of you to bring your sister,” Roger said pointing to Bubbles.  “She’s a little shorter than I remember.” He had dated Sam’s sister years before. It hadn’t worked out. Not at all.

“Funny,” Sam said, shaking his head.  Billie punched Roger.

“Sorry, they all look the same to me, all those bitc…” Roger started to say, but I cut him off.

“It’s been what, fifteen years?” I asked.  “Don’t you think it’s time to let go of that resentment?”
Roger shrugged.

I’d always thought people underestimated the attraction of resentment.   Resentments kickstart an adrenaline rush. They give people a sense of righteous anger, and a feeling of being owed something, maybe an apology, maybe much more.  

But just like many drugs, resentments cost more than they delivered. They kept people stuck in the past, less likely to enjoy today, and move on.

I knew I had more than a few resentments I needed to let go. 

Today I’ll ask myself why I’m holding onto my resentments.

Dogged Determination ©2018 & 2019 by Ken Montrose

Dogged Determination is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment