Thursday, April 9, 2020


Good People United
I hadn’t wanted to be foreman because I thought deliberations would be a colossal headache.  Maybe because of the virus, I was in a dark place expecting the worst of people.

Running therapy groups, I’d dealt with monopolists who steered every conversation to themselves.  I’d struggled with followers whose self-help guru was the absolute authority on all things.  Nothing other group members believed really mattered to them. 

I recalled whiners, jokesters, people who never spoke, and group members who could put a sexual spin on any discussion.  My mood sank with my memories.

To my amazement, none of these problem personalities emerged. The jurors let Mr. No Humor he wasn’t in charge and got on with deliberations. 

I’d forgotten how many times I’d seen good people united in purpose help  each other cope, grow, and triumph.  I was glad to be reminded.


Today I’ll be grateful to be reminded what good  people united in purpose can do.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment