Tuesday, April 7, 2020


Of Flow and Flush
The defense rested its case. The judge explained our duties and sent us back to the jury room to deliberate. My stomach knotted up the moment we sat down.

Deiter was a good kid who’d made a bad decision. In my youth I’d made that bad decision hundreds of times.  His girlfriend’s mother had obviously forgiven him.  What purpose would it serve to send him to jail?

On the other hand, a girl was dead. We had laws against drunk driving for a reason. Being a good kid wasn’t a get out of jail free card.

Part of me just wanted to go with the flow and see what the other jurors thought. I knew going with the flow had gotten Deiter in trouble. He went to the party to keep his teammates happy.  Sometimes the flow starts with a flush. 

Today I’ll remember the flow often starts with a flush.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment