Friday, April 17, 2020


I Get It
Dr. Deb finished her call and sat beside me.

“I get it,” I said softly, mostly to myself.

“Get what?” Dr. Deb asked.

“Why my dad would always ask if whoever I was dating was good company.  He loved being with my mother and wanted the same thing for me.”

“It took you this long to figure that out?”

“It’s one thing to know something, another to live it, to fully understand it.”

I hugged her and kissed her on the top of her head. I added, “Even though I quit drinking before I was thirty, I knew I had a problem long before I quit. It wasn’t until I hit that sheriff’s car that I finally understood the depth of my problem.”  

Today I’ll be grateful for finally understanding.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

No comments:

Post a Comment