Thursday, May 21, 2020


Could be Worse
Brat Boy called just before lunch. “Can I rent a chainsaw?” he asked.  “I want to build a log cabin in the woods behind our house.”

“Have you lost your mind?” I asked.  “We don’t own those woods, you don’t…”

Brat Boy laughed as he interrupted me, “I was kidding, Dad. There’s something crawling around in the shed, the washing machine won’t turn on, and the dentist called to remind you he’s resuming appointments. Yours is at 3:30.”

“Oh. OK , then.   I can’t leave early today, but I’ll look at the washing machine after my dentist appointment.”

“What about the shed?”

“Probably a groundhog. Give it a cute name and we’ll pretend it’s an outdoor pet.”

I hung up thinking my day had suddenly gone downhill.  But, compared to the thought of Brat Boy running amok with a chainsaw, it could have been worse.

Today I’ll be grateful things aren’t worse.

Summer with the Slug Rats © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Summer with the Slug Rats is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment