Thursday, May 14, 2020


Support
A week later I went to the sentencing.  Sitting in the back of the courtroom, I heard the judge give Deiter a light sentence. He said Deiter had been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but he’d been there over the legal limit. 

Then the judge did something that surprised me. He thanked both families for supporting Deiter. He’d seen too many young people make a mistake, then compound that mistake because they had nobody to support them, to get them headed in the right direction.

I thought of all the people who’d pointed me in the right direction, even when I was hell bent on going the opposite way. People had stood by me when I was at the lowest points in my life. Dieter and I were both lucky to have people like that in our lives.

Today I’ll be grateful for the supportive people in my life.

Jury Duty © 2020 by Ken Montrose

Jury Duty is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com https://www.pinterest.com/kenmontrose/mt-rose/

No comments:

Post a Comment